FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF HAMPTON
229 NORTH KING STREET
HAMPTON, VA 23669
PASTORAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The Historic First Baptist Church of Hampton, established in 1863, is seeking its 12th full-time Senior Pastor who will prioritize spiritual growth and participate in the church’s teaching and worship ministries. The Senior Pastor will model the mind, message, mission and ministry of Jesus Christ. Consistently seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit to carry out a visionary ministry, he/she will serve as the spiritual and ministerial leader in all affairs of the church while providing administrative leadership for all staff, ministries, and committees.
Following are the primary responsibilities:
- Share vision for and develop total church involvement in holistic ministry
- Serve as member ex-officio of all ministries and committees
- Visit and counsel church members and others
- Conduct weddings, funerals, and other special services and ceremonies
- Serve as model leader in evangelism, discipleship, stewardship, missions, ministry and outreach
- Represent First Baptist Church at various religious and community events on the local, state, national and international level
- Build team/partnership concept of ministry with the leadership and church’s ministries
- Participate in continuing education opportunities
- Organize church for effective ministry within the congregation and community as well as on the local, regional, state, national and international levels
A successful candidate will meet the following minimum criteria:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Post-baccalaureate seminary degree from an accredited institution
- At least (3) years of pastoral leadership and administrative experience
- Licensed and ordained
All education and work experience will be verified.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested and qualified persons must submit a candidate packet consisting of the following documentation:
- A completed application with a cover letter (No hand-written applications will be considered)
- Current resume
- Provide two sermons delivered within the past 12 months, through the following mediums: DVD, thumb drive, YouTube channel or web link (Drop Box, We transfer) IMPORTANT: Please do not send an entire church service. The applicant’s media should contain the sermon only
Provide a Bible study class taught within the past 12 months, through the following mediums: DVD, thumb drive, YouTube channel or web link (Drop box, We transfer)
- A copy of license and ordination certificates
- Copies of earned degree transcripts will be accepted until official copy is provided
- Three letters of recommendation (1 clergy, 1 layperson and 1 personal)
- A completed and signed application checklist
The application may be downloaded to your computer using the following link: Pastoral Vacancy Application Download
NOTE: You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader X or later installed on your computer to complete the application.
Steps for completing the application:
- Download the PDF to a folder on your computer. IMPORTANT: Do NOT fill out the application from within your web browser.
- On your computer, browse to the folder location where the PDF was saved in step #1.
- From within the folder location in step #2, open the PDF application.
- Begin filling in the fields, saving the PDF periodically. IMPORTANT: Always save your progress before closing the PDF application. This will allow you to resume the application without losing entries.
MAIL ALL APPLICATION PACKETS TO:
First Baptist Church of Hampton
Attn. Pastoral Search Committee
PO Box 8234
Hampton, VA 23666
Incomplete application packets and or hand delivered packets will not be accepted.
The deadline for submission is July 15, 2019. Any application packets received after the deadline will not be considered.
Final applicants will be notified and may be asked to provide additional information in the selection process. The candidates must then consent to a reference check and criminal history background check (performed through outside agencies for complete confidentiality). All information received will be treated as confidential. For additional information or questions, please submit your request to Pastoral Search Committee at FBCHsearchcommittee@thefbch.org.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!